Saturday, April 2, 2011

Peeking at Ivan's SITU files.

This will just be a brief note. I think that when I'm "peeking" at Ivan Sanderson's files, I'll use a picture of him "peeking" at the Minnesota Iceman. Today's peek will be at a piece of evidence for the Loch Ness monster. I'm not going to do any analyzing, so it's up to you.

What we're looking at will be the study of the Dinsdale film. [Tim Dinsdale is in the picture above]. I have several very good cryptozoologically-inclined friends [they themselves are not crypto-beasts as far as I know, but suspicious characters nonetheless], who have written some of the best works in the field [George Eberhart, Jerry Clark, and Henry Bauer; I've had a long and collegial correspondence with Gary Mangiacopra as well.] All these guys are interested in Loch Ness, but perhaps no one more than Henry. I've asked him why he thinks that the Monster is real. This is a particularly intriguing question to me since Henry Bauer is one of the most intelligent men, and hardest "sells", that I know.

Henry gave me three reasons at the time. One was the plethora of credible witness testimonies from people he had talked to himself. Another was the occasional mysterious sonar reading. But the big deal for him seemed to be the "Dinsdale Film". This consisted of around 1500 frames of 16mm film shot by Dinsdale in 1960. It seems to show some object making a wake in the loch, but what else can one say?? To try to get a bit "else to say", Dinsdale talked the UK's Joint Air Reconnaissance Intelligence Center into analyzing it. Of course he gave them the original to work with. Much has been claimed for the results of the JARIC which followed. Some folks have seen them as not compelling; most folks see them as "proving" that some large animate object was swimming in the Loch that day.

Shuffling through Ivan's SITU file on Loch Ness, I turned a page and there was what seemed to be an original copy of the JARIC report. How Ivan got an original who knows?? Note, even, that it says "copy 1 of 2" !! Well, knowing that some of you are "romantic explorers" and enjoy seeing the original stuff, I felt it my duty [and pleasure] to scan it and let you look for yourselves. The three-page "thing-itself" follows.





Please read into the report what you see, of course; I am hardly an expert on this. I DO know that it has always been hard for me to "see" much in the documentaries which replay Dinsdale's film. Apparently, it was a bit hard even for the JARIC to do so. But, as you read, they DID see something.

What the report SAYS that their analysis was able to see was a "solid, black, approximately triangular shape". This of course doesn't mean that the "swimming" object WAS a "Black Triangle" but the thought does send one reeling for a moment ... but I don't want to get Henry mad and try to turn Nessie into a UFO, so I'm going with a solid swimming thing that just happened to present a sort-of triangular aspect as it swum away. The speed of this "thing", as Sanderson would have labelled it, was good as a small motorized boat, and the "above water size" large enough to cause a puzzle. But I'm out of my depth [pun sort-of intended] and you should just think it through as you will. My only goal here was to give you another rare chance to see the stuff "behind the stories" for a change.

A swimming Black Triangular USO?? Call Carl Feindt!!! Just joking Henry --- don't throw me off your Xmas card list.

6 comments:

  1. The report and analysis is a real keeper for allowing a grey area in the Nessie mythology. Prior to reading the report, the object appeared to me static and suggestive of something tethered that was bobbing on the surface of the loch. In that light, the wake was caused by the direction of windswept waves.

    Having read the report, the possible dimensions preclude anything as small as oil drums. Then in section 10, the analyst estimates the speed of the object as some ~10mph. This would seem to rule out a capsized boat.

    It seems to leave us with either a dark power boat or a living creature. If it was a dark boat, that implicates Dinsdale as party to a deception. If it's a creature, what marine animal has a beam of up to 6 feet? Quite a few, but none that are native to Loch Ness.

    'Nessie' is out there with the Bigfoot in terms of food sources, breeding colonies and so forth. It just can't exist! Surely it's all myth and bluster?

    It's never so straightforward as we can see by the occasional sonar reports of a big critter travelling at speed beneath the surface. Jerry Clark details some of these incidents in the 'Unexplained Strange Sightings' book. There's also an active link from a 1968 Time article...http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,900454,00.html

    Fascinating and inconclusive. I'm not alone in being slightly envious about having the Sanderson archives at your disposal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever get ambitious and have some time to waste, we might be able to arrange some "kick-over-the-rock" time for you if we can get the beast a bit more presentable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'd jump at the chance, but NW England is a world away. Posting the 'good stuff'here, from the archives, will have to do. Your posts continue to be a peaceful anomaly in the 'blogosphere.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, could you contact me: anastasia.rygle@gmail.com my boyfriend and I currently reside in the apartment that Sanderson kept in NYC from 1940-1960s and we have some questions as well as some film footage that may be of interest to someone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,I hope you guys get to digitize this archive and post it online for everyone to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, you have no concept of the task that you are hoping for. I'd like to do that too, but I'd be dead before it was 1% accomplished.

      Delete

Followers

Blog Archive